The Town of Carrboro has been cooperatively exploring ideas for potential improvements to the parking downtown. This website outlines the purpose and goals of the parking plan, which was adopted by the Town Board of Alderman on April 25, 2017.
Over the course of the last fifteen or more years, the Town has gradually acquired or leased properties to use as municipal parking lots, and currently maintains 655 parking spaces in the downtown area. The Town does not charge for the use of those spaces. Despite this investment, concerns relating to insufficient parking in the downtown have re-emerged particularly, during the last few years as larger-scale development projects have come on line leading the Town to reconsider its role in providing or managing parking for commercial uses. With this context, the Town engaged VHB Engineering, NC, P.C. from Raleigh, NC to oversee this planning process.
The goals of this planning process guided the public outreach, field data collection, and analysis efforts. The plan goals were:
- Engage the citizens of Carrboro in this process
- Identify possible barriers that may be preventing people from visiting downtown Carrboro
- Quantify the existing parking trends for weekdays and weekends
- Estimate future parking demand based on current conditions
- Identify parking management improvements for the Town
- Seek a balance between the needs drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit riders within a dense, urban setting